New trustees and directors appointed at London Marathon
8 Feb 2017, 3:05 p.m.
The London Marathon Charitable Trust and London Marathon Events Ltd have announced the appointment of new Trustees and Directors following the recent Annual General Meetings.
London Marathon Charitable Trust
The new independent Trustees for The London Marathon Charitable Trust are:
- Dawn Austwick, CEO of the Big Lottery Fund, previous Chief Executive of the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation and former Deputy Director of the British Museum
- Rosie Chapman, Specialist Advisor to the House of Lords Select Committee on Charities
- Gillian McKay, Head of Charities and Voluntary Sector, ICAEW (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales)
- Clare Shepherd, former General Counsel of Cancer Research UK
The new nominated Trustees for The London Marathon Charitable Trust are:
- Lee Mason, CEO of County Sports Partnership Network who becomes the nominated Trustee for County Sports Partnership Network
- Donna Fraser (pictured above), Vice President of the UK Athletics Members Association and Equalities, Diversity and Engagement Lead for UKA, who replaces Jason Gardener, who has stepped down due to his other commitments, as nominated Trustee for UK Athletics
- Robert Rigby, Councillor for the Regent’s Park ward for the City of Westminster, who becomes one of the two nominated Trustees representing the London Councils
John Bryant, former Chairman of The London Marathon Charitable Trust, has stepped down as a Trustee for health reasons but will remain Vice President of The Trust.
Sir Rodney Walker, Chairman of The London Marathon Charitable Trust, said: “We are indebted to John Bryant for his outstanding service to the London Marathon since its earliest beginnings and are delighted that he will continue to participate in his role as Vice President of The Trust. We are very pleased to have attracted new Trustees of such high calibre; we look forward to benefiting from their contributions to the Board and to the work of the charity.”
London Marathon Events Ltd
Three new Directors have been appointed:
- Robin Geller, Registrar and Chief Operating Officer at the University of Bristol
- Arun Kang, CEO of Sporting Equals, the charity that promotes greater involvement in sport and physical activity for the BAME community
- Damien Lane, a Partner at Episode 1 Ventures LLP, a London based investor in early stage technology companies, and an event director of Hampstead Heath parkrun
Richard Bowker has stepped down as a Director following his appointment as Chairman elect of UK Athletics.
Sir John Spurling, Chairman of London Marathon Events Ltd, said: “We welcome Robin Arun and Damien to our Board of Directors and look forward to benefiting from their wide-ranging skills and experience. I would like to thank Richard Bowker for his service to the Board and wish him every success in his new role at UK Athletics.”
The full list of Trustees and Directors for the London Marathon Charitable Trust and London Marathon Events Ltd is here
The London Marathon Charitable Trust was created in 1981 by Chris Brasher and John Disley, the founders of the London Marathon, to meet one of their founding aims to raise money for sport and recreational facilities. Their vision ensured that the profits from the London Marathon, and all other future events organised by London Marathon Events Ltd, would go to The London Marathon Charitable Trust in perpetuity.
The London Marathon Charitable Trust currently provides grants towards capital projects that inspire people to lead a more active lifestyle and increase the number of people regularly taking part in sports and physical activities.
The total value of grants awarded by The Trust since 1981 is now more than £64.5million to more than 1,155 projects.