Applying to the Facilities Grants Programme – Major Grants
Two-Stage Application Process
- We have a two-stage online application process for a Major Grant
- We make funding decisions four times a year
- We will let you know whether you will be invited to submit detailed Stage 2 information no more than 12 weeks from the application deadline
- If you are unsuccessful, you may only reapply once for the same project. It is therefore important to make the best case you can at the first stage. If you are unsuccessful at Stage 1 we will provide feedback on how you can strengthen your application should you wish to reapply
Information we ask for in the Stage 1 application form:
- Project description: A brief description of the capital works involved in your project and how the facility improvements will encourage and support people to become and remain physically active
- Budget: An initial budget for the project and a partnership funding breakdown showing how you expect to fund the work.
- Fundraising plan: A partnership funding breakdown showing how you expect to fund the work
- Needs case: An explanation of the need for the project, including information on how you have identified demand for the facilities, details of any consultation you have undertaken and support for the proposals from strategic partners and the local community
- Delivery plans and outcomes: An explanation of the impact the project will have on participation in physical activity, sport and/or play at the site, including information on how the facility improvements will support your work to encourage and support people to become and remain physically active
- Sustainability plans: An explanation of how you will ensure the long-term sustainability of your facilities and the activity programmes they support, including information on how you will manage, maintain and market the facilities to ensure they are financially sustainable and well used for years to come
Supporting documents: You will also be required to upload some supporting documents alongside your application.
For a detailed explanation of the Major Grants Stage 1 application process and a full list of what we ask for please refer to the document below:
What information we ask for at Stage 2:
If we invite you to Stage 2, we will ask for more detailed information about your project. You don’t need you to complete another application form, we simply ask you to upload some supporting documents through the online application portal.
The information that we require at Stage 2 is listed below:
- Designs: Detailed designs for your facilities
- Budget: A detailed budget for the entire project, including an explanation of how you would propose to spend any grant from The Trust
- Timeline: A detailed timeline for the project
- Business plan: A detailed business plan for the sustainability of your facility once it has been built/renovated
- Monitoring and evaluation: A detailed proposal for how you will measure the impact of the facility and your other programmes to encourage and support people to become and remain physically active, particularly children and young people and/or underrepresented groups
- Planning permission: Evidence of planning permission granted (where applicable)
- Development plans: Relevant physical activity and sport development plans
- Child Protection Policy: (for all projects involving children)
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults’ Policy: (for projects involving vulnerable adults)
- Partnership funding: Evidence of partnership funding (where already pledged)
- Bank statements: Copies of the organisation’s bank statements for the last three months (not required for statutory bodies)
- Affiliation: Photocopy of Affiliation to NGB sports where required
- Three letters of support: Including those giving evidence of your organisation’s ability to encourage and support people to become and remain physically active, particularly children and young people and/or underrepresented groups
At this stage we will also arrange to visit the project site, meet you and find out more about your organisation’s work.
We aim to make a decision within 16 weeks of the Stage 2 submission deadline. If our review of your Stage 2 information takes longer we will be in touch.
For a detailed explanation of the Major Grants Stage 2 application process, please refer to the document below:
Major Grants Decision Timetable*
Stage 1 applications for a Major Grant may be submitted at any time via our online application portal. Stage 1 applications are considered quarterly. The Trustees decide which applicants should be invited to submit more detailed information at Stage 2.
The deadlines for submission of applications for a Major Grant are listed below.
|Stage 1 Application Deadline||Notification of Decision at Stage 1||Earliest Possible Stage 2 Submission Deadline||Earliest Possible Notification of Decision at Stage 2|
|23 July 2018||By the beginning of October 2018||6 November 2018||End of January 2019|
|17 October 2018||By the beginning of January 2019||5 February 2019||End of April 2019|
|16 January 2019||By the beginning of April 2019||8 May 2019||End of July 2019|
|16 April 2019||By the beginning of July 2019||31 July 2019||End of October 2019|
|9 July 2019||By the beginning of October 2019||30 October 2019||End of January 2020|
* This is an approximate timetable. Timescales and later deadlines may be subject to change. All applicants invited to Stage 2 have up to 12 months to submit their Stage 2 application.